Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Links I like plus Dinner and Healthy Dessert Recipe

Hello!

Well, due to us spending some time on the computer doing our taxes, I haven't had much time to do any research for my next topic, however I did want to share some links to a few health websites that I have recently found. I really like them for they have great articles, workouts for free, recipes, etc.

1. www.fitsugar.com. This website has a lot of different free workout videos including cardio, yoga, victorias secret workouts, healthy eating guides, recipes, entertainment, articles. I just love the information they have. I have done a few workouts from here too and they are great. Especially for beginners. The articles are interesting to read. There are all sorts of tips and tricks on here.

2. www.lifescript.com This website is just for women and is more geared towards health rather than fitness. It does have some fitness and recipes tips as well, but talks about health as a whole, to include mind, body and spirit. It talks about relationships, sex, money, style, family health, top health conditions, pet health, caregiver health, etc. It is a great source of information.

I could spend hours looking through both of these. I hope you find them useful!

A recipe I want to share with you that is perfect for a cold day is:


Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole Adapted from The Fresh 20

2 tbs olive oil                                 1 bag broccoli steamer
3 tbs flour                                      2 carrots peeled and cut into 1/4 inch coins
3 cups warmed skim milk               2 ribs of celery thinly sliced
1/2 tsp salt                                     1/4 medium onion diced
pinch of black pepper                     2 cups cooked broun rice
1 3/4 cup colby jack cheese          2 cooked chicken breast, cubed
              shredded
pinch of nutmeg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Heat a medium pot over low/med heat. Add olive oil and flour. Whisk together for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in warm milk until completely combined. Add salt and pepper. Allow this to simmer for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Then add in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese a little at a time. Continue to whisk. Add in the nutmeg. Simmer for another 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. This will thicken into a nice cream sauce.

Meanwhile, cook the steamable broccoli and set aside. Combine the carrots, celery and onion in a microwave safe bowl and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are lightly cooked. Then mix the broccoli in with the vegetable mixture. In a large bowl, add the cooked rice, veggies, chicken and cheese sauce. Stir well and pour into baking dish. Top with the rest of the cheese (1/4 cup) and back for 20 minutes.

I have a pretty big sweet tooth and it is mostly satisfied by cookies, cake, brownies, things of that nature. So I am trying to find some things that will work to cure my craving. I came up with a great healthy dessert that more than satisfied my taste buds. It is my new favorite sweet treat.  I think I will call it:

Creamy Strawberry Parfait
Slice about 5 strawberries (more if you prefer)
In a small bowl, mix 2 tbs of plain greek yogurt, 2 tbs light cool whip and about a tsp of honey. Mix well until all are incorporated together. Arrange strawberries onto a plate or in a separate bowl. Top with the yogurt mixture and drizzle about 1 tsp of chocolate syrup on top. 


Enjoy! :)

I hope you enjoy the great links I have found and the recipes. Do try the strawberry dessert. It is surprisingly very good!

I do have some subjects I plan to discuss soon, it just has been a very busy week. Sure would like to know if there is anything anyone would want to know about!! ;) I have lots of readers, you all are just very silent lol...but as long as you are reading, I am happy. :)

~Mandi
Ha ha! I had to use this as my motivational picture today, since I just did this yesterday! lol But seriously, your own reflection is your best motivation! Stay Active!!

THIS is my goal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment