Saturday, March 9, 2013

Detox update plus Importance of Fiber

Hello on this rainy day. Now that I have gotten back on track and things are slowing down a bit, I can contribute more time to my blog more often. :)

So, are you wondering why there was no Dr. Oz Detox day 2 and 3 blog? Well it's because there was no day 2 or 3. After I posted on day one, I got to drinking my dinner smoothie as my husband ate his dinner. Throughout the evening, I quickly started feeling really terrible. I had a huge headache and about halfway through the smoothie almost got sick. I felt very nauseous and dizzy. The best way I described it was a cross between having the flu, being hungover and prepping for a colonoscopy. It was awful. I then started to break down and just had to throw in the towel. I was so disappointed! The next day, I weighed myself, I had lost 3 pounds, so that was interesting. My friend doing it with me, she lasted longer than me but towards the end of the 2nd day, she threw in the towel too. So, it was a fail. Oh well, hey I tried it!

I wanted to talk about fiber because I don't think most people get enough fiber in their diet. Especially if you aren't eating a clean diet. Women should get about 21-25 grams of fiber per day. Men should get about 30-38 grams of fiber per day. I researched foods that are highest in fiber and compiled a list:


  • Fruits:
    • Apples, with skin
    • Pears, with skin
    • Raspberries
    • Bananas
    • Oranges
  • Vegetables:
    • Carrots, raw
    • Broccoli, raw
    • Potatoes with skin
    • Artichokes
    • Green Peas
  • Dry Herbs, Spices and Peppers
  • Whole Grains:
    • Brown rice
    • Quinoa
    • Barley
    • Bran
    • Air popped popcorn
  • Beans and nuts:
    • Almonds
    • Pecans
    • Black Beans
    • Lima Beans
    • Navy Beans
    • Kidney Beans
    • Pistachios
    • Flax seed
    • Sunflower seed
Now of course this isn't a full list, but it is the most common things. When increasing your fiber be sure to increase your water intake as fiber is not digested and simply is bulk passing through your GI tract. You want to make sure you have enough water ingested to help pass this through. Increasing fiber in your diet helps regulate your bowel movements. It also helps you to feel full, so if you load up on dietary fiber, you will be full on healthy things and have no room for unhealthy junk. This can help with weight loss and help you to maintain your weight. Fiber can also lower cholesterol, decrease your risk for diabetes and heart disease. These are great reasons to make sure you are taking in enough fiber. I myself have a lot of GI issues, IBS, gluten sensitivity, and I find when I have enough fiber each day I have less bloating, I am more regular, and feel so much better. In addition to natural, dietary fiber, I do use a clear, dissolving fiber, such as Benefiber, in my coffee. This is an option as well for a supplement. 

So load up on some good, wholesome fiber each day and I think you will start to see the benefits. Especially if you tend to have stomach issues as I do. 

Todays Workout:

Stay Active and I will be back tomorrow with a new recipe!
~Mandi

Because it's the best therapy life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment